Rural Development Programme of Greece 2014-2020
THE FUTURE OF RURAL DEVELOPMENT
The Rural Development Programme (RDP) 2014-2020 is one of the most important growth promoting tools of the country. It is based on a vision for integrated development and sustainable competitiveness of rural areas and it aims to enhance the competitiveness of the agri-food sector, promote the multifunctional role of rural areas and protect the environment.
The strategy for the rural development during the programming period 2014-2020 ensures the continuity of operations implemented during the previous programming period and constitutes a starting point for new innovative operations in rural areas and the rural economy.
It is structured around three interdependent and complementary key objectives:
- Creating a strong, competitive and viable agri-food system
- Promoting sustainability of the agri-food system and rural areas
- Creating viable and multifunctional rural areas
These objectives are mainly achieved by:
- Strengthening competitiveness and agri-food system productivity by enhancing the added value of agricultural products.
- Developing human resources and strengthening the entrepreneurial culture.
- Protecting and managing natural resources and biodiversity, as well as the mitigation and adaptation to climate change.
- Providing basic services and improving the quality of life in the countryside.
- Fostering social cohesion in rural areas and the rural diversification.
On the implementation side, some new elements are introduced such as the delegation of certain measures to the Regions and the territorial and/or sectorial specialization.
The contribution of the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development to the RDP 2014-2020 amounts to approximately €4,7 billion corresponding to around €6 billion of public expenditure.
The allocation of the EAFRD resources to the major strategic choices of the RDP 2014-2020 is shown in the following diagram:
RDP 2014-2020 has maintained the familiar palette of measures such as Modernization of agricultural holdings, Processing and marketing of agricultural products, Young Farmers, Infrastructure related to the development or adaptation of agriculture, Agri-environment payments, Knowledge transfer and information actions, Advisory services and farm management services, Quality schemes for agricultural products and foodstuff.
However, significant new elements are introduced such as:
- Cooperation actions with expanded scope between different stakeholders in the rural development sector, including, among others, the establishment of Operational Groups of the European Innovation Partnership for Productivity and Sustainability of Agriculture, which aims to link agricultural research and practice.
- The multi-fund character of LEADER through the “Community-led local development strategies”.
- The introduction of new measures, including the Development of small farms, Start-up aids for non-agricultural activities in rural areas, Investments in forest areas, Development and improvement of the viability of forests, Setting-up of producer groups and organizations.
The following table outlines the approved measures, the EARD allocation and their financial importance:
|MEASURE||MEASURE/ SUB-MEASURE DESCRIPTION||EFARD
|1||Knowledge transfer and information actions||55.000.000||1,17%|
|2||Advisory services, farm management and farm relief services||125.000.000||2,65%|
|3||Quality schemes for agricultural products, and foodstuffs||40.470.000||0,86%|
|4||4.1 Investments in agricultural holdings||378.249.076||8,02%|
|4.2 Investments in the processing, marketing and/or development of agricultural products||208.732.511||4,42%|
|4.3 Investments in infrastructure projects related to the development, modernization or adaptation of agriculture and forestry||454.856.540||9,64%|
|Other investments in infrastructure projects||106.538.575||2,26%|
|5||Restoring agricultural production potential damaged by natural disasters and catastrophic events and introduction of appropriate prevention actions||40.000.000||0,85%|
|6||Farm and business development||374.374.279||7,93%|
|7||Basic services and village renewal in rural areas||84.401.320||1,79%|
|8||Investments in forest area development and improvement of the viability of forests||251.265.500||5,33%|
|9||Setting -up of producer groups and organisations||25.000.000||0,53%|
|12||Natura 2000 and Water Framework Directive payments||7.500.000||0,16%|
|13||Payments to areas facing natural or other specific constraints||950.005.216||20,13%|
MINISTRY OF RURAL DEVELOPMENT AND FOOD
GENERAL SECRETARY OF AGRICULTURAL POLICY AND MANAGEMENT OF COMMUNITY FUNDS
Managing Authority of the Rural Development Programme
Unit of Networking and Publicity
Address: Leoforos Athinon 58, GR – 104 41 Athens, Greece
Tel.: +30 210 5275100